Teacher Spotlight | Mr. Thomas

Yana Patel, Social Media Manager

20 December, 2023

Justin Thomas is a teacher at Port Chester High School who deserves great recognition for his work in the school’s English department. This is his third year teaching, both overall and here at PCHS, and in these three years, he has taught all four grade levels in the high school. 

What college/universities did you graduate from?

For undergrad, I went to Loyola University Maryland in Baltimore, Maryland. I absolutely loved being a Greyhound and loved living in Baltimore. It was a city with such a vibrant culture and so many cool opportunities, and I tried to take full advantage of it. Oh, they also of course had great crab. Oh my gosh did they have great crab! The student debt is still very real, but I can’t really picture myself having been anywhere else. For graduate school, I went (coincidentally) to West Chester University of Pennsylvania. Half of my time there was spent during the beginning of COVID, which made things very interesting in terms of finishing my degree. I’m lucky that I was a grad student when it happened instead of an undergraduate or high school student, though, since I already knew how to self-motivate and hold myself accountable, but there were a lot of days that I struggled to get things done. It’s such a difficult environment for education at any level, but I got through it. 

Did you have a job during college?

I did! It’s part of how I got into my media career. I worked at my college radio station, WLOY, all four years that I was in college there. I worked on-air in a sports talk show, edited shows, and worked as the Sports Producer for the station. I have a lot of love and gratitude for that job and for WLOY. I still keep in touch with my station manager from there and everything! 

What school did you teach at previously or what job were you working at previously?

Teaching is actually my second career. Before becoming a teacher, I worked in sports media and as an on-air DJ. I did everything from script writing for sports shows to writing newspaper articles and organizing interviews with coaches, athletes, and reporters. For most of that time, I worked for MLB and NHL Network. I also worked on-air at a radio station in Connecticut, DJ-ing different shows on the weekends. It was a lot of fun, and I’m glad I got to try that world out before realizing my purpose as a teacher.

Did you play any sports in highschool and college (D1 athlete? Or any division) 

Yes! I played Varsity soccer and lacrosse at Westlake High School for 10th, 11th, and 12th grade. I thought about playing lacrosse in college at the D3 level, but that wasn’t how I wanted to focus my time in college. I ended up going to Loyola University Maryland in Baltimore and thought about trying to walk on to the lacrosse team there, but then I walked by practice one day and saw how good they were and said, “Nah…I’m good,” and walked away. They ended up winning the D1 National Championship that year!

What was your favorite subject in high school? Did it lead you to the career path you are working at now? Was this the subject that inspired you to become a teacher? Or did someone inspire you?

Unsurprisingly, my favorite subject in school was English. I would say that led me down this path in time, but I was also inspired by my family. Many people in my family, including both of my parents, my sister, and my grandfather, are/were all educators. I’ve always looked up to them my whole life, and I saw all the good that they did, and I wanted to do some good in the world, too, following their examples.

Any hobbies?

I love writing, especially short stories and poetry. I also, again, unsurprisingly for an English teacher, read a lot of books, mainly fiction. I love a good mystery or sci-fi novel. Anything that gets into multiverse storylines or existential growth grabs me immediately. But I also play basketball and golf, play video games, go for nature walks, and most importantly, hang out with my fiance and our dog, Tinkerbell. 

One advice you would give to students?

I think two things (I know you said one, but I have 2…sorry): 1. This is probably the most important thing: Take care of yourself. You are important, and you need to treat yourself with importance and take care of yourself. Especially in today’s world, it’s so easy to get bogged down, so find what you need to show yourself some care and grace. 2. Try! I promise you, no one gets overly upset with someone who tries. The only true loss is not trying at all. Whatever it is, you owe it to yourself to give it a true effort and your best shot, even if the results aren’t what you hope.

What is one word you would use to describe your experience at PCHS?

Fitting. I think that when I got into teaching, I was a little afraid I would be bounced around between schools or wouldn’t know how to get my footing. Here, I think I landed in the right spot for me and get to work with so many teachers and students that I love. I think PCHS is a fitting place for me.

If you weren’t a teacher what would you be?

Well, I already tried sports. Play-by-play announcing would still be so much fun, but I think I would be a writer and voiceover actor if I wasn’t a teacher. I do have a few books I would like to write, and I’ve always enjoyed acting and coming up with new voices, so that would be a lot of fun. The dream would be to be the voice of Spider-Man at some point. That might make my life complete. 

In general, Mr. Thomas is a vital component of our Ramily. He is an English teacher, but he is also a friend to many people. His commitment to our school has been demonstrated by his advisorship in a number of clubs, including The Port Light and Debate Club. We are happy he is a part of our school and eager to see what else he does while teaching at Port Chester High School.