Student Spotlight | Arely Torres

Ashley Sanchez, Journalist

1 February, 2024

In this edition of The Port Light, we are shining a light on a student within the PCHS community, Arely Torres. She is very committed when it comes to being a class officer for the class of 2027 and doing everything she can to help raise money. The Port Light conducted an interview on this student in order to get a glimpse of what it was like to transition from the middle school to the high school and how she’s overall adjusting.

What hobbies do you enjoy?

Some hobbies I enjoy are listening to music because it tunes me out of everything else going on and going out with my friends because I feel comfortable around them 

What classes do you enjoy the most?

One class that I enjoy the most is English because I’m around people that I know will encourage me and because Ms. Watts makes me comfortable in her class. Another class I enjoy is Spanish because I understand the work and I find it very easy to do.

Do you have an idea of what you want to do after high school?

Yes, I kinda have an idea of what I wanna do after high school, which is to be an ultrasound technician but I’m still not 100% sure yet.  

How did you feel about starting high school?

I felt nervous starting high school because I didn’t wanna get lost going from class to class, but also because I got used to being in the middle school.

Do you prefer high school rather than middle school?

Yes. I prefer high school rather than middle school because we have more freedom in the high school than we did at the middle school  

Are you having any struggles adjusting to high school?

No, I’m not having any struggles adjusting to high school. Once I got comfortable, I just went with the flow of things.

What are you liking about high school so far? What do you dislike about it?

One thing I’m liking about high school so far is that we don’t get bossed around but something I dislike about high school being able to stay on task and be cooperative everyday. 

How do you feel about being the secretary for your grade?

I feel like being the secretary for my grade is really fun because I actually enjoy doing what I’m doing and I get to help out as well as plan fundraisers.

Any advice for the freshmen?

Some advice I would give to the freshmen is if you are not used to following directions or doing your homework, I’d try working on it because if you don’t, you will have a hard time adjusting to this school. 

Arely serves as an example that adjusting yourself into your first year of high school can lead into a smooth year overall. Although this is her first year here, she is already showing what it takes to be a leader when it comes to helping her class out. The advice given is key to have since your first year of high school can sets an example for how the rest of your high school experience will end up going.